Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Don't be afriad to be a beginner.

I grew up with a father active in several forms of martial arts. He would teach me and my brothers the basics and importance of knowing how to protect ourselves. When we were younger, my brothers and I were enrolled in Hapkido (but it's been so long, I basically remember nothing). Although I have always desired to actively study martial arts, I have always been afraid to start again. I have been reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron and what struck me the most was that it said, "don't be afraid to be a beginner." That is so true because no matter what age or stage you are, you need to begin somewhere and better now than never.


So my husband and I have started taking FMMA (Filipino Mixed Martial Arts) classes. This would be our second week studying the Laban Sa Lahat System taught by a family friend, Guro Erick Cruz. It is an honor and a blessing for me to study this art. Last week, we learned from a 70 year old grand master, who was also a survivor of a heart attack. His master told him to keep going and not retire yet so his mind can keep sharp and indeed he is! He taught like he never experienced a heart attack at all. Praise God!



It is in the Filipino culture to address others in a family sense of respect. For example, calling a middle aged man "uncle" or if he is just slightly older than you, call him "kuya" meaning older brother. Same concept in a female sense, calling an older woman "auntie" or "ate" pronounced [ah-teh] meaning older sister. An uncle has given my husband and I eskrima sticks, an auntie graciously donated an embroidered Laban Sa Lahat gi top to me and guro Erick has blessed me with a couple of bokens to practice with. It's such a blessing to study with my FMMA family who welcomes and encourages us beginners and I look forward to offering the same supportive family spirit to future students. Well, my arms are literally shaking while I type (plus they're super sore haha). Good night all and God bless!

Emblem


                  
Bokens & eskrima sticks to practice with.
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment